Thursday, September 13, 2007

HW 6: Semester Long Statement

As far as the interest statement for the semester long project is concerned, when it comes to the social computing technologies, I am most interested in instant messaging, email and email lists, and social networking services. Instant messaging and email is something that I am constantly using and checking up on. Atleat once a day I use one or the other to communicate with family, friends, and even just to hear about information I didn’t know about before. Social networking services are the same as well, face book and myspace take priority over many things that I try to accomplish during the day. I am constantly checking for messages from people and redoing my page so that it looks nice and presentable to other people. As far as empowerment and marginalized groups, I am most interested in finding out about overcoming racism, rights and empowerment of people with some kind of illness, or issues of disabilities or learning differences. Racism is something I’m very interested in because I feel very strongly about it and I think it’s definitely something that should be changed. I’ve also had to deal with many illnesses and disabilities throughout my family history which is another reason for me wanting to find out more information. As I start to look at these many different topics, I will look at the geographical areas of the United States, as well as South and Central America, because I would first like to see how where we live is affected by these any different aspects, and I’ve also had some knowledge about the ways in which South and Central American people life, so adding to this knowledge would only be beneficial.

No comments: